“There are many people who believe that heaven is accessible by living a good life, doing charity work, being baptized as a child, attending church regularly, or by just being a good person. The bible tells us that we cannot live up to God’s standards of righteousness by doing these things. Therefore, we will not go to heaven as a result of doing them either. We need a road to God that does not rely on anything we do, but relies on the gift of His grace alone. The Romans road is a concise way of explaining, using scripture, why we need salvation, how God provided salvation, how we can receive salvation, and the results of salvation.”
It is a group of verses from the Bible in the book of Romans that makes it perfectly clear how one is saved from our sin condition.
Romans 3:23 “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”
We are all born in a state of sin. This state separates all of us from God and reflects itself through pride and evil deeds.
– Admission of this fact is essential to start the process.
Romans 6:23a “…The wages of sin is death…”
This Sinful states results in death. We all face physical death, which is a result of sin. But a worse death is spiritual death that alienates us from God, and will last throughout all eternity. The Bible teaches that there is a place called the Lake of Fire where lost people will be in torment forever. It is the place where people who are spiritually dead will remain.
– Understand that you deserve death for your sin.
Romans 6:23b “…But the gift of God is eternal
life through Jesus Christ our Lord.”
Salvation is a free gift from God to you! You can’t
earn this gift, but you must reach out and receive it. This gift comes through the person of the Lord Jesus Christ, and contained within this gift is eternal life.
– Remember this gift is free, but is channeled through the Lord Jesus Christ.
Romans 5:8, “God demonstrates His own love for us, in
that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us!”
When Jesus died on the cross He paid sin’s penalty. He paid the price for all sin, and when He took all the sins of the world on Himself on the cross, He bought us out of slavery to sin and the consequent of death! The only condition is that you believe in Him and what He has done for you, understanding that you are now joined with Him, and that He is your life. He did all this because He loved you and gave Himself for you!
– Remember the Lord’s demonstration of love was before any type of good work on our behalf ,therefore His salvation is not predicated on any types of good works.
Romans 10:13 “Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved!”
– Call out to God in the name of Jesus!
Romans 10:9,10 “…If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Jesus from the dead, you shall be saved; for with the heart man believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.”
– Salvation occurs when you agree with the Lord as to your insufficiency, inadequacy and inability to save yourself and at the same agree with Him as to His sufficiency, adequacy and ability to save you and the evidence of His sufficiency, adequacy and ability is the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.
Revelation 3:20a “Behold I stand at the door and knock, if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him…”
– If you sense Jesus knocking on your heart’s door please let Him in by Faith.